Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Denton County, Texas

pedal down through suburbia
sunlight peeking between every tree
the minister's impeccable voice
through the static of the radio
(the music was much better)
good morning, officer
you'd be right to ask
if I had a late night
speeding home to bed just a little bit
why aren't you at church? I want to ask
as he decides to find bigger fish
return my plastic card of 'under 21 until'
(you literally don't exist without it)
beckon me back onto the pilgrimage
of that roadway between city and nature
and head home to his nuclear wife and kids
while some computer server somewhere
decides my escapade home is a ruse
and a bible somewhere else sits unopened
on the shelf of that poor, poor policeman
that gave his life to the devil
that same evening before.

No comments:

Post a Comment